Illamasqua’s sealing gel is a versatile mixing medium that has quickly reached cult status among many professional makeup artists and beauty enthusiasts alike. I first purchased it over a year ago after I had heard such wonderful things about it online and I’ve been incorporating it into my daily beauty regime ever since.
I personally love to layer mine over my eye liner and brows to ensure extra longevity, especially on days when I’m simply too busy to touch up my makeup. It would also be especially useful to performers, professional makeup artists and dancers who require high performing waterproof products that won’t degrade under hot theatre and studio lights.
Price: Illamasqua’s sealing gel ranges in price amongst different retail shops, but I purchased my twin set online for $23.00 CAD from Sephora’s web shop.
Quantity: 6ml or 0.2 FL. OZ
Packaging: The sealing gel comes packaged in a miniature, acrylic black dropper vial with the iconic Illamasqua logo imprinted on the front.
Ingredients: Aqua (water), Acrylates/Octylacrylamide Copolymer, Propylene Glycol, Polyester-5, Triethanolamine, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben.
Cruelty Free: All of Illamasqua’s products are completely cruelty-free.
What I Like:
Versatility – I love this holy grail product for its sheer diversity. If you’re on a budget, this mixing medium will accentuate the use of almost any pressed powder, pigment or glitter on your vanity. By adding a few drops to any of these you can create a fluid consistency that transforms these seemingly one dimensional products into the most vivid liners, brow colors, and waterproof bases. If you’ve ever worked with glitter, you know how frustrating it can be to prevent fall out and keep it in place. Look no further, glitter lovers! This proverbial makeup gem will keep your makeup intact and create a waterproof barrier that will entice you to grab that pot of glitter or loose pigment a little more often.
Staying Power – As someone that suffers from perpetually oily lids, sometimes primer isn’t enough to prevent my eye liner from smudging. I prefer using my Ben Nye Cake liner to create the perfect winged liner and then trace over it with my sealing gel to lock it in place. I don’t know what I would do without it, since it prevents me from having to touch up even on the longest of days. As a testament to its longevity, I’ve even taken part in an hour long, sweat induced workout and it still managed to hold up quite well. If you’re an allergy sufferer and like to rub your eyes or simply live in a humid climate, I cannot recommend this enough!
What I Don’t Like:
Quick Drying – The one thing that I’ve noticed with this product is its propensity to dry rather quickly. That’s a blessing to some especially when working with liquid liners, but it can also be anxiety inducing when you want to take your time and get things right. You must work quickly to ensure the best results.
Size: The bottle is quite petite and with only 0.2 oz of product its easy to see why the price might deter some of you. A little product goes a long way, so be sure to use it sparingly.
(L-R) – Illamasqua ‘Berber’ pigment, Make Up For Ever Star Powder in 955, Illamasqua Brow Cake in ‘Stark’, Cinema Secrets ‘Chorus Line’ Glitter and Ben Nye Cake Liner.
Tips For Use:
- Take a drop or two of Illamasqua’s sealing gel and apply it to the tip of your brush.
- Dip your brush into any glitter, pigment, pressed shadow or cake liner and mix together to create desired consistency.
- Be sure to work quickly and apply the product to any part of the body you wish.
- If your brush dries out before you’re complete, simply add another drop and repeat the same steps.
- Clean your brush immediately, as the formula tends to harden the bristles after use.
- If you want to apply the sealing gel directly to your pressed powders, cake liner or brow products make sure to designate one small area off to the side of the pan for this purpose. The sealing gel has a tendency to create a crusted film over the surface of the product once it’s dried, so be mindful of its placement and keep your products working as efficiently as they should.